SSI Open Water Diver Course
Duration: 4 Days
The 4 day SSI Open water diver course is an internationally valid entry level certification which allows the diver to safely plan and execute dives with a buddy, independent of supervision of a dive professional, up to a maximum depth of 18 meters.
SSI Open Water Diver is the most widely recognised and recognized scuba diving rating in the world.
SSI Open Water Divers are qualified to:
- Dive without direct supervision of a Dive Professional up to a depth of 18 metres.
- Rent or purchase scuba equipment and participate in dive activities .
- Continue further dive training by finishing the SSI Advanced Adventurer certification and taking further speciality dive courses.
To sign up for a SSI Open Water Diver course, you must be at least 10 years old. You need good swimming skills and need to be in good physical health.
The SSI Open Water Diver course consists of three main phases:
- Knowledge Development ( independent study or in a classroom) to understand basic principles of scuba diving – There are six sections of the Open Water Diver course theory and video that need to be completed.
- Confined Water Dives to learn basic scuba skills – these dives are conducted in the swimming pool, to help you master essential underwater and equipment skills.
- Open Water Dives to use your skills and explore – you do four dives in the sea to complete the Open Water Diver course.
You learn to use basic scuba gear, including a mask, snorkel, fins, regulator, buoyancy control device and a tank. Your SSI Instructor will explain the equipment you need and may suggest additional educational materials, such as the required logbook.
Day 1: Theory ( Chapters 1, 2 and 3 ) and Pool Training
8:30 to 1:00 pm: Course registration and completing the first three sections of the Open water course theory and video, followed by some knowledge review quizzes.
2:00 to 4:00 pm: We hit the pool to learn to use the scuba equipment and to practice some essential underwater skills.
Day 2: Theory ( Chapters 4, 5, 6 and Exams) and Pool Training
8:30 to 1:00 pm: Completing the last two sections of the Open water course theory and video, followed by some knowledge review quizzes and your final exams. The exams may also be taken on the last day of the course.
2:00 to 4:00 pm: We hit the pool again to learn to to learn some more skills and to practice and perfect the ones learnt yesterday.
Day 3: Open water dives 1 and 2
8:30 am to 3:30 pm: Meet at the Dive centre, kit up, and head out by boat to the dive site. Do two dives along with your instructor, where you practice your newly learned skills and explore the underwater world. Learn to wash and properly care for you equipment, and log your first two dives.
Day 4: Open water dives 3 and 4
8:30 am to 3:30 pm: Same routine as before, we meet at the dive centre, get ready, and head out by boat to the dive site. You do your third and fourth dives along with your instructor, where you demonstrate your skills, practice and explore the dive sites. When you return, we complete your paperwork ( and final exams, if not completed on day 2 ), log your dives and you are ready to be certified as a SSI Open Water Diver!